Host an Event to Benefit the Animals at HSSET
Thank you for your interest in helping Humane Society of Southeast Texas animals through your fundraising event!
HSSET is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that does not receive any tax dollars or funds from national nonprofit organizations. The animals depend on the support of caring individuals, like you! In order to enhance the success of third-party/community events and to avoid any conflicts with HSSET’s mission, donors, corporate sponsors, or events already planned, the following guidelines should be observed:
- Please complete and submit the event application below at least 3 months prior to the event. Events must be pre-approved by HSSET and re-approved every year thereafter if an event is repeated in the succeeding year.
- Prior to printing any materials, pursuing any media publicity, or soliciting cash or in-kind sponsors, you must receive written approval for your event from HSSET staff.
- If you would like to support the animals by hosting a donation drive for animal supplies or through a promotional fundraiser (for example, you donate 10% of sales of one item to the shelter either for a limited time or extended time), we ask that you fill out an HSSET promotion application.
What to expect from HSSET:
- The HSSET community outreach staff will try to accommodate all special requests for community events but our resources are limited so we constantly work to minimize our expenses. Off-site events require staff time to coordinate and work events, especially when transporting animals is involved.
- Applications must be submitted at least 3 months in advance. HSSET staff will contact you with any questions and you will receive confirmation of our decision within 10 days of the receipt of your application.
- If your application is approved, we will then be able to release the HSSET logo to you exclusively for use in promotion of the event identified in the application. Other use is prohibited without written consent.
- HSSET cannot guarantee additional promotion of your event through third party publications and media possible. However, events will be publicized appropriately on HSSET social media outlets. One of the best ways to do this is for us to share or like a post of yours.
- HSSET will list your event (if open to the public) on our community events calendar online. We will also include your event in a monthly media release to local media. If you create flyers, we can hand them out at other community events, but cannot distribute from our shelter lobby.
- HSSET is able to provide thank you letters to all donors if we are provided with mailing addresses. To make donation tracking easy, see the Event Donation form included in this packet.
- HSSET can request volunteer assistance for your event, but volunteer participation is not guaranteed. The HSSET community outreach team can assist with developing suitable volunteer roles and shifts.
- In order for us to accommodate requests to bring shelter animals to events there must be a fundraising component or a significant expected attendance where HSSET volunteers could solicit donations for the animals.
- Bringing pets to a fundraising event can help attract donors, as well as enhance the event experience for guests. Once we review your application, we will let you know if this is something we are able to do. Things to keep in mind when requesting pets at your event:
- The safety of the animals is always our number one priority. We always take into consideration the location/environment of the event, weather if the event is outdoors, length of the event, and any other factors that could cause physical or emotional stress to the animals.
- We designate the number of animals we take to events based upon the space available for the animals, availability of pets that would be okay at the event (temperament and health,) and the availability of volunteers/staff that are specifically trained to handle shelter pets safely at events. (HSSET policy dictates that we have one volunteer/staff per animal at any event.)
- HSSET community outreach team members have experience in planning events and are here to help with any questions you may have with your event. (Also see “Hosting an Event for HSSET Fundraising Tips” for additional ideas.)
What you should plan to provide for your event:
- It is important for HSSET to make you/your organization aware that the organizer(s) of the event is responsible for all costs associated with it. As a nonprofit organization HSSET receives no tax dollars, and is unable to provide financial assistance for any third-party event.
- All checks should be make payable to the Humane Society of Southeast Texas and remitted to the HSSET within 30 days of the event.
- Organizer(s) will be responsible for obtaining any necessary licensing, permits, insurance or other prerequisites as required by the state or local government.
- Promotion and marketing will be the responsibility of the organizer. Graphic design, flyers/posters, media contracts, etc. are your responsibility.
- All written or printed materials containing “Humane Society of Southeast Texas” or the HSSET logo must be submitted to HSSET for approval before public use.
- By submitting an event application you agree to assume all risks and liabilities associated with the proposal and hereby release and hold harmless HSSET entities, their directors, officers, employees, agents, and successors from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees arising out of or in connection with the event, including without limitation any personal injuries or damages to property that may occur in conjunction with your proposal.