With up to 200 animals on the grounds each day, the staff of the Humane Society can be hard pressed to provide the individual care and attention each of them deserves. We rely on the generosity of community volunteers to help walk, play with, and attend to the needs of our tenants. We are forever in debt to these kind souls who are willing to dedicate their time to the shelter. If you are interested in becoming a shelter volunteer please fill out the volunteer application or ask an adoption counselor at our front desk.
If you would like to make a difference in the lives of our animals, we would love to have you join us! In order to be a volunteer you must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Children between 12-15 may volunteer only if they have a parent or legal guardian with them at all times
- Young Adults between 16 & 17 may volunteer without a parent, but must have a legal guardian sign their liability waiver
- Be able to donate at least 6 hours a month
- Fill out a Volunteer Registration Application here online or pick one up at the front desk!
- Attend an orientation
- Support the mission, principles and policies of the Humane Society of Southeast Texas.
Volunteer orientation is held on the third Saturday of every month, beginning at 11 am and runs for roughly one hour– all volunteers are welcome to stay the rest of the day! If you cannot make one of those times, or plan to arrive with a group larger than three, please contact us. We will work with you to get a one-on-one orientation done as soon as possible. Please wear long pants and closed-toed shoes when you come to volunteer. If you have a volunteer T-shirt, please wear it. If you do not, please wear a T-shirt you do not mind getting dirty or potentially getting bleach on. We are working on getting more volunteer T-shirts in, but currently, do not have many available for new volunteers.